Tuesday, December 13, 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011 - Random Facts and Lesson's Learned

This post will prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I can be a little obsessive compulsive! If you don't want to read all the way through, that's fine, but you'll miss some laughs!

Things I Learned During NaNoWriMo 2011:

1. I’m completely insane (I knew that already, but further proof is always fun).
2. I’m not as insane as I thought (There are 5,548 people who signed up of for the Portland area Region alone! Look! I’m not the only crazy person!)
3. Distractions are my friend! Can you say SIMS? Facebook? Books? (I managed to read 13 books during NaNoWriMo) Long conversations with friends? Even occasionally….cleaning?
4. Since I am very easily distracted, to-do lists, notes about where my story is going next, and giving myself motivating rewards are a must!
5. Writing really does beget more writing! I started this blog and made a number of notes about other things I’d like to work on, and I’m really excited about going back and finishing my original book!
6. When there’s a mystery in your story it helps if you know before your characters do what the answer is, but if that fails, walk around the house talking to yourself!
7. I start dialog sentences with “Oh!” too much. I talk like that too.
8. Coffee is my friend!


Beverages Consumed
- Coffee,
- Fancy coffee’s
- Water (Occasionally….ooops!)
- Diet Dr. Pepper
- Gatoraid
- Mint tea
- Hot chocolate
- English Breakfast tea
- Kahlua (not enough!)

Places Written:
-Most of the rooms in my apartment (not the bathroom, but I did figure several things out in the shower)
-(Big) Jam coffee
- Ava Roasteria
- Sweetness Bakery
- On the bus.
- On the side of the road in a bus stop.
- PDX airport
- On airplane.
- In hotel room.
- In a retirement center

Obstacles Overcome:
- Losing 6,000 words (that’s 2 1/2 chapters!)
- Sprained wrist
- Migraines
- Distractions (duh!)
- Writing while traveling (and the exhaustion I end up with on the road.)
- Handling car repairs.

Music: 
- Lots of random stuff. I put my entire collection on random for about a week.
More specifically:
- P!nk - Greatest Hits So Far
- Matt Kearney - Young Love
- Sugarland - Incredible Machine
- P0TC Soundtracks 1-3
- Flogging Molly - All cd’s but newest

2 comments:

  1. What a fun post! I giggled along with you several times. And I figure out *so* many things in the shower! I also walk around the house talking to myself a lit, too. The cats enjoy that quite a lot because they think I'm talking to them, so it all works out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live by myself so I never talk, not to myself anyway. My cat makes me talk sometimes.

    I think my biggest obstacle this year was all the babysitting I had to do. My grandson hates when I use the laptop while he is here. He starts pounding on it so I don't use it when he's here. That meant no writing while he was here and that was a lot during November. And I love to spend time with him when he's here so I didn't really want to write when he was here.

    ReplyDelete