Saturday, December 3, 2011

Introducing Writing Prompts

Before I launch into the real purpose of this post, let me just saw I’m sorry I missed posting my review yesterday. I have a million excuses (some are even semi-valid!), but those aren’t really important. I plan on continuing the regularly scheduled reviews next week with a review of a writing web-site I absolutely love.

Onto today!




I have recently come to the realization that I absolutely love writing prompts and challenges. I haven’t had very many writing classes, but I always enjoyed the creative writing exercises both because I enjoyed the challenge, and because I often ended up writing about something that never would have occurred to me otherwise. 

Since this blog is all about writing - I decided to include all of you in the fun! Each Saturday I’ll put up a different writing prompt. I’ll try to keep these general enough that anyone can participate, and I’ll come up with some of them on my own, and for others I’ll draw on outside inspiration. If I take it from something else I’ll always let you know and provide a link.

Eventually I’ll have a cool name for these prompts, and a graphic to go with it that you can use on your own blogs, but why wait for that? 

Today's prompt (12/3):
We're headed into the holiday season! Write a story that is based in memory. It can either be a real memory, or something that you've made up, but write it as if the central person is remembering. If you don't celebrate Christmas, feel free to use Hannukah, Kwanza, or simply a December/winter memory. 

Here’s how works: 
1. Take the prompt and write about it. Try to do it within in two days of reading about it or you’ll forget, trust me. 
2. Once you’ve written about the prompt, post about it on your own blog! Please include a link back to this post so people will know where you got it.
3. Come back and leave me a comment so I can read it! 

I’ll be writing right along with you, and each week I’ll both post the next week’s prompt and my own response to the previous week.

Have fun! 

~Ruthie~

Ps. Do you have a writing prompt you’d love to see me use? Or an idea for a name for this weekly fun? Tell me about it in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Testing one, two, three...are comments working for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea -- I hope to drop in when crazy life (oh yeah? There is such a thing as crazy life???) doesn't get in the way.

    ReplyDelete